This might look like an ordinary pizza but guess what? It’s not! This is a gluten free, vegetarian pizza made with a cauliflower crust and it is delicious.
I don’t follow diets or certain ways of eating because I’m a big believer in eating with balance in mind. So when I feel like my body needs a break or I need to eat more vegetables then I do. I usually eat at least one vegetarian dinner a week and also eat salmon for dinner once a week. I also like to substitute rice for cauliflower rice! It’s just as good as rice and doesn’t leave you feeling bloated. Cauliflowers are such a great price at the moment so when I was at Belconnen Fresh Food Markets recently, I purchased two. I made cauliflower rice to go with a curry and tonight I made this cauliflower pizza.
Serves 2-4 people (this recipe will make two pizzas and you can make the crust thinner to make more – just adjust the cooking time and make sure it doesn’t burn)
What you need for the crust:
1 large cauliflower
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
What you need for the topping:
Passata (pizza sauce)
3 sprigs fresh or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
You can use whatever you want but this is what I used. Add sliced chorizo if you want to add some meat and fresh basil would be delicious too. Get creative!
- Process the cauliflower in a food processor until it resembles large bread crumbs.
- Put it in a microwave container and microwave for 8 minutes or until it’s soft.
- If there’s excess moisture then drain the cauliflower in a fine sieve and push down with a spoon to remove excess water.
- Beat the egg in a bowl, add the cauliflower, a little salt and pepper, 1/2 of the cheese and mix together.
- Preheat oven to 230°C or 210°C fan forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Press the mixture firmly into the tray to form a circle. It doesn’t have to be perfect! Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Top with passata and toppings of choice and cook for 8-10 mins until the cheese is melted.