Hi! I’m Amelia, Editor and Founder of Eat Canberra! I don’t post many photos of myself but I thought I would take a minute to tell you a little bit about me, Eat Canberra and some of our plans for the future. I have a journalism degree from the University of Canberra, a Diploma of Beauty Therapy and am currently completing a Cert IV in Digital Design. I’m a communications professional, freelance writer, owner of a communication business, Editor of a wellness/travel blog, volunteer for not-for-profit organisations and of course, I’m the Editor and Founder of Eat Canberra. I was also one of the first contributors for Her Canberra, founded by the lovely Amanda. I have also interned at the ABC and my work has been published in a range of local, national and international publications. I’ve worked and studied overseas and travelled a lot around the world with plenty more adventures ahead.
During my travels I’ve:
- dined in fine-dining restaurants in New York
- sat on little plastic chairs in the streets of Vietnam eating delicious Vietnamese food
- enjoyed Khmer curry in Cambodia
- Pad Thai from street vendors in Thailand
- devoured deep dish pizza in Chicago
- eaten Alligator, po’ boys and gumbo in New Orleans
- tried Fugu and ate incredible Japanese food in Japan
- indulged in the most delicious meats in Argentina
- feasted on fresh seafood and fresh acai berries in Brazil
- consumed Ropa Vieja in Cuba
- put away juicy, smokey BBQ in the US
- tried Cuy (look it up – it’s a must try) in Peru
- eaten succulent lamb and divine oysters in NZ and of course eaten at countless food establishments around Australian and Canberra.
I started Eat Canberra to combine my love of food, writing and my passion for helping to promote incredible businesses in Canberra, Australia and the world. I worked in the hospitality industry for about eight years as a cook, kitchen hand and waitress and my mum has owned a gorgeous cafe in QLD (where I’m originally from) for more than 10 years. Food has always been a BIG part of my life and I love sharing it with you all! I also have four sisters and we equally love our food. I enjoy dining out but I also love to cook and create recipes! Eat Canberra is still very new and has grown quickly in the past 18 months. We now have a following of more than 11,000 on social media (you’re all amazing). Last year I hosted Eat Canberra’s first event with the super talented and kind Trent Harvey from MasterChef Australia.
This year we have BIG things planned and I’m really excited to share them with you and to have you along for the ride! We’ll be hosting more events, bringing your food reviews and news, sharing delicious recipes, launching food tours and travelling to incredible places in Australia and the world, inspiring you to be adventurous and explore all that Canberra and the world has to offer. The Eat Canberra team will expand and in February we will welcome our first Intern from the University of Canberra. If you want to keep updated you can sign up to receive our monthly e-News.
If your business aligns with Eat Canberra and you want to collaborate on anything food/travel related then please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. There are lots of ways we can work together so please get in touch. If there are things you want us to find out for you as one of our valued readers and followers then email us and let us know. We would love to hear from you!
Thank you for your support and I can’t wait to share our adventures with you.